8 DIY Winter Home Improvement Projects
Stuck In The House? No Problem!
Winter is always the best time to undertake simple home improvement projects. The reason? You are stuck in the house for long periods of time due to the weather and you want to do more than watch television or post on the social sites. You feel the urge to be busy, but you may not be sure what you can afford to undertake as projects or complete on your own.
The good news is that there are many different home improvement projects that can be completed during the winter by anyone with any skill level. Most of these projects can add personality and value to the interior of your home, while others can save you money. All projects on the list can be easily completed without a large investment or a lot of work.
1. Insulate Your Water Heater. You can drop the temperature on your water heater to 120 degrees which will save you money and then insulate it to save even more. An insulating kit can be purchased for a very modest price at a local hardware store and installed within minutes. The insulation will keep the water heater warm at all times, decreasing the need for it to continually heat the water and driving up your bills. An insulated water heater is also a very good selling point if you decide to sell your home.
2. Change Switch and Socket Covers. You will not really realize how dull and worn out your light switch and plug covers are until you replace them. These simple little things can change the appearance of your room. You can opt for the very plain plastic, or change the appearance of your room by using decorator covers. These projects can be completed in one afternoon and has very little cost.
3. Install a Programmable Thermostat. What better time to make sure that your heat can turn on when necessary than winter? A programmable thermostat helps you manage your heating costs by keeping the temperature perfect only when you are there. Set it to drop at night or when you are at work and watch your heating bills go down in the first month.
4. Paint a Room. You can make a dramatic change to the interior appearance of your home by changing the color of the walls. Painting can be accomplished in a single afternoon, making it very easy to transform a room from dull to exciting.
5. Spruce Up Interior Doors. You can change the appearance of any room by changing the door. Paint or stain your door a darker color for a more regal appearance. Use light stain or cover with paint to make the home look more modern and fresh. Change door knobs so that they match throughout the house.
6. Make Over Your Closet Space. Clean out the closets and set up an organization system. There are many great systems that can be purchased or created from scratch that will create an organized closet.
7. Change Your Shower Head. You can reduce water consumption by installing a low-flow shower head. Additionally, most shower heads become clogged over time from minerals in the water, so a new shower head will not only look nice, it will also work more efficiently.
8. Install a Back-splash in Your Kitchen. One of the most essential items in any kitchen, but often overlooked. These back-splashes can add personality to your kitchen while performing a necessary function. Can be completed in very little time.
- License: Creative Commons image source